Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Funky Monkey Morning Smoothies

Even though I know it should be part of my routine, I won't even pretend that I'm a breakfast person.  It's weird, because when we are on vacation, I love breakfast, but as a regular daily thing... ehhh.. I'd rather just have my coffee and get on about the business of the morning (like making breakfast and lunches for the kids).  I have been trying to do better, with the occasional bowl of cereal or eggs and such.  But this morning, I hit on something that I really enjoyed, so I'm passing it along to you!

These smoothies take less than 5 minutes to whip up, and that's
just because you have to go to the pantry and such to get everything out.  Lots of protein in here to keep your blood sugar stabilized, lots of potassium, and the best thing - they taste pretty similar to a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in a drink!  Woo hoo!  And you can dump it in a glass and jump straight into the car without slowing down to actually sit and eat.  Sorry, but time is a hot commodity!  They would also be great after a workout, or for an afternoon snack for the kids.  :)
Ingredients: (for 2 glasses)
  • 1 (8oz) container Very Vanilla Silk Soymilk
  • 1 large ripe banana
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter
    • I used Peter Pan honey roast creamy all natural
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
    • meant to use sugar in the raw, but forgot
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups ice

Method:
Process everything together and serve immediately.  If you don't have a blender with a strong motor, or if you want to make them up ahead of time so you won't wake up everyone in the house with the blender, you could make them without the ice and refrigerate, then serve over ice.

8 oz vanilla soy milk + 1 large banana
The great thing about this soy milk is that these individual containers can be stored unopened on the shelf in the pantry.  They also have lots of protein and 50% more calcium than dairy milk. 

2 Tbsp honey roasted peanut butter + 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder


3 Tbsp sugar + 1 1/2 cup ice
Feel free to substitute raw sugar, honey, or your sweetener of choice.  There are so many options out there these days to meet the needs of a variety of dietary restrictions!

Blend and enjoy!!
Serve immediately if you blended with ice.

I hope you enjoyed this easy smoothie recipe!
You can find hundreds more recipes by visiting my Recipe Index!  You are sure to find something to pique your interest... and the steps to take you through it!

Connect with me!
If you are new to the MenuMusings site, click here to subscribe.  I'll send you notifications of new posts so you won't miss a thing.  Together, we'll keep you out of that cooking rut!  You can also follow me on Pinterest or on the MenuMusings facebook page.  

Order the MenuMusings Cookbook!

menumusings.com

Here are some bonus recipes for you.
Prosciutto and Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus Appetizers

Fireworks Roast (aka Beef Pot Roast)

Easy Stromboli

Andouille Breakfast Potatoes
 
BLT Buffalo Chicken Wraps

Creamy Grape Salad

Toasted Couscous Salad with Asparagus and Tomatoes

1 comment:

  1. I want this for breakfast, thank you! Thanks for coming and linking up at The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on culinaryflavors.gr ! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest